Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Sci-fi, fantasy, romance (sort of), YA, Dystopia, Retellings
I think this is going to take a little while to come together.
After all the scary moments, all the times I said, this is it, this is where she kills them, her, him, one of them is going to be left alone and wandering without love, then another of my fav would come into the scene and there I was again thinking the same, what a rollercoaster.
It doesn’t usually happen that I find a book to have me gaping, almost screaming, nearly crying, laughing, insulting the characters, but the best ones do, or at least does that make you go in and be part of the story for real, feel all that they are feeling, intense, magical, heartwarming, all those little things we feel while reading Winter.
Have some patience with me here, I just finished a great series and still does not feel over or real, though I want to read the side stories and extra ones, except for Fairest, which is not really on my priority list, I do want to give Stars Above a chance and I have one of Thorne’s guide waiting as well. But from Cinder to Scarlet to Cress to finally Winter, The Lunar Chronicles truly put a new meaning in retelling and sort of keeping the fairytale side alive.
I am going to try to portrait some of the best moments or the ones that caught my attention the most here. And trust me there are a lot of those, so I will try to make short and sweet, though stars know that in the end, I sort of fell for Thorne and that was a big surprise for me, I thought only Kai and Wolf would be the ones, oh, but Jacin, too, though not so much.
Moments in Winter
- When Wolf and Scarlet were reunited. When Wolf confessed that he had begun to fall in love with her back in Rieux.
- ‘Are we running a boardinghouse for misplaced royalty around here, or what?’ Thorne, he grew on me.
- ‘Which normally would have sent her on a tirade about relationship independence, except she felt like she’d claimed him a long time ago.’ Scarlet is by far, the best girl all these books, even more than Cinder, yes.
- And apparently, Luna had so many myths and mysterious around it. It’s a shame that they are no more books, before, after, the beginning of it all, there are snippets and so on, but I love back-stories, and it would be cool to see more. This, because of what Winter said, about nonroyal unavailable to ascend the throne because then the Lunar gift would be gone from people.
- At Maha’s home, when they introduced Scarlet to her. Precious.
- ‘When she had tied his, she had practically given him a wrist massage that had made him squirm on the inside.’ Oh, Kai. He can be hilarious.
- When they tried to make us believe that Levana had glamoured Cinder and that was who Kai had stabbed? Or was it, simply, that she wanted to make him think that he was killing Cinder, either way, I read in a state of open-mouthed shock, though I knew it could not be true.
- ‘Did you see any rice in there? Maybe we could fill Cinder’s head with it.’ Thorne, this one made me laugh so hard.
- ‘Or maybe it was just Winter, who could make a rock fall in love with her if she smiled at it the right way.’ This from Scarlet, who is like the toughest chick here, and, apart from making me laugh, it also made me think about how there was no emphasis on Winter, other that she was crazy and beautiful, and loved to clean and keep busy, all trades of Snowwhite, and how the huntsman faked her dead, I did not see enough of her, I loved the whole thing for sure, Thorne, Cress, Cinder and Kai, Scarlet, Wolf, all of it, but this felt a little short.
- And then she was poisoned because the book is about Snowwhite.
- We didn’t see Wolf for a while but when he made a comeback, I didn’t expect for it to be one so cruel.
- Cress and Thorne. *gasp* I am not going to be even spoil it for you, just know is there and it will be awesome.
- ‘Oh- aces.” I love how Cress has all the “curse words” that Thorne has.
- And everything came in sevens for Winter, coincidance? I don’t think so.
- I like Wolf’s name, Ze’ev, it’s totally suits him.
- Not everything is happy endings after all, Throne lost something, Wolf could not return to his previous self, and Winter was still crazy.
- Poor Jacin, it wasn’t his fault that Winter was completely bonkers. Also, I couldn’t for the life of me, decide on how to pronounce that name, was like Jay-cin? Or simply Ja-cin? No clue.
- ‘Aces, Cress, I’m terrified of you.’ I mean, you got to love Thorne and Cress’ story, they just so unique, in comparison with the rest.
- And then the final scene with Cinder and Kai because after all, the main story was them, at least, Cinder, and it came back to what happened there, from book 1 to this very end. What a ride.
After the End
That took a lot longer than I thought, and I missed some stuff, I didn’t want to put everything there either, in case you read the book and want to discover it all for yourselves. I did love The Lunar Chronicles 1 to 4 a lot more than I originally thought I would, it took a long while to read Cinder, after it, I jumped straight to Scarlet, however, Cress and Winter were delayed because life happened and I could not read any of these books or any other good one for a while, I had to move, change my ZIP code and well, a serious of events that are not meant for this blog.
What I can say is that if you love, fantasy, sci-fi, YA, drama, dystopia, futuristic and fairytales books then you could not pick a better series than this one, I’m sure there are other cool ones out there, but roll with me on this one, The Lunar Chronicles are packed with all the goodies from fairytales and the excitement of almost realistic/future stuff, that mix, puts it on my list of recommendations forever.
Did you make it to the end? Thanks, I appreciate that you read my ramblings about Winter, and if you haven’t read this one, I hope that you do. Don’t miss my other reviews about anything in the future, what? I mean that if you follow my blog then you’ll get a notification when a new book review is out, also, if you want, you can share this one on your social media, you know, help out a fellow reader or simply like this post, if you want I repeat. That’s it for now, happy October, it’s the first and I love this month!
6 thoughts on “The Lunar Chronicles 4: Winter ❄️”
Winter is an epic series finale. I agree, Scarlet and Wolf are my favorites lol. I mean I pronounce it as Jay-cin…I think the audio version did that as well, I can’t remember. All the highlights you pointed out reminds me of how I squealed… Thorne’s rice line is full on hilarious. There is a lot of drama and suspense in this book, twists and turns, which keep you on the edge of your seat. Ooh Stars Above is a great collection of stories, the last one in particular is so beautiful.
Oh, that’s good to know about Jacin, thanks. By the end of it I was just rolling the name in my mind however it came. And yes, Stars Above seems a nice collection, I started sort of backwards with Thorne’s story but it’s all promising. 😍
I am sooooo late on this series, I really feel like I’ve missed out
It was great, I also felt like that after finishing it, the good thing was that all the books are out so I read non-stop. 😀